Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Oak Leaf Trail


Today I started the long journey down the Oak Leaf trail in Milwaukee County. Since the east-west connector is so close to home and I hit it most days I decided to take it as far as I could. 
I like the way it starts (from my starting point at home). I go down past St. John's Lutheran toward the village of Wauwatosa and head down along the Menomonee River (I think). After passing through Hart Park it goes through some residential area along the river.


Also I found one of the mountain bike trails that juts off.


As I said before the biggest challenge to this trail is that there aren't really any natural loops so it's hard to get more than three or four miles at a time before it's time to turn around. This time I got three before I hit this sign:

 Oops. This is the end of the Oak Leaf Trail for today and the beginning of what's apparently the Hank Aaron State Trail. Cool. I did about a mile of that before I turned around.
I continued along the newfound Hank Aaron which was basically a sidewalk in a neighborhood north of Wick Field. I decided to turn around before I got the Miller Brewery.
I haven't written a lot about the run itself because it was a pretty plain experience. It was a nice run in the city and what made it trail running was the fact that there were signs that said it was a trail. There were some really nice parts where the trail left the road and went into a wooded area. I ended up taking Blue Mound Rd from where it splits with Wisconsin Ave all the way home. I did get a nice picture on the way.



I also ran pretty fast.

So three miles of the 100 mile excursion is done. This will take a couple days.
One thing I thought of was that if I ever play in Major League Baseball, or if my softball league gets entrance music, this will be my at-bat song:

(Unfortunately they don't allow embedding of the real video for this song so just listen, but don't watch because there's nothing to see.)



No comments:

Post a Comment